Bad news for Lenovo fans waiting for the Phab 2 Pro, the world’s first commercial “Project Tango” phone. Lenovo has pushed the phablet’s launch window to the last quarter of 2016, with no specific date to mention.
Additionally, the Phab 2 Pro will not be released in some countries that were initially considered for the product’s launch. Lenovo plans to focus on Asia Pacific markets where it has garnered decent success such as Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines.
So, what exactly is “Project Tango”? Here’s PhoneArena with the specifics:
The Phab 2 Pro, a Project Tango handset, comes with four cameras that act like sensors allowing the phone to process the information around them through three different technologies: motion tracking, area learning, depth perception.
A Project Tango phone is supposed to recognize a room or an environment where another similar device was since it makes use of the area learning technology.
Also, the smartphone can sense the shape of the world around it with the help of the depth perception technology. The core of this technology is a time-of-flight sensor that sends infrared beams to an object and calculates how far the phone is from that object by the time it takes the beam to get there and back.
Last but not least, thanks to its fisheye camera that can easily identify edges and corners, Tango allows the Phab 2 Pro to understand its position in a room via motion tracking.
Lenovo Phab 2 Pro
- 1.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 octa-core processor (Project Tango optimized)
- Adreno 510 (Project Tango optimized)
- 4GB RAM
- 6.4-inch QHD IPS display, 2560 x 1440 resolution, 2.5D curved glass
- 64GB expandable storage, up to 256GB via microSD
- 16-megapixel rear camera, phase detection AF, depth and motion tracking sensors, 2160p video at 30fps
- 8-megapixel front camera, f/2.2, 1080p video
- Dual SIM
- 4G LTE
- WiFi, Bluetooth, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Fingerprint sensor, Dolby Atmos / 5.1 Audio Capture, 3 microphones with 360 voice capture, noise-cancelling tech
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- 4050mAh battery, Li-Ion, non-removable, turbocharging
The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro is pegged at $499 (~Php 23.8K) and is set to be released next month at the earliest for the Philippine market.