We take the Mi 8 for a spin!
It’s been a few weeks since we gave your our first take on Xiaomi’s new affordable flagship. While we managed to snag a device to unbox for you guys, it’s only recently that we’ve finally gotten a review unit for our own evaluation. We’re already neck deep into testing the new phone, but one thing we can share are camera samples from the device’s dual 12-megapixel rear cameras. Xiaomi has added AI smarts to their camera just like every other major manufacturer nowadays, and it does work, at least for the situations we found ourselves in.
This first shot is a great showcase of the Mi 8’s dynamic range and its prowess in terms of color reproduction.
While AI-boosted photos tend to have more vivid colors leading to sometimes over-saturated images, photos from the Mi 8 doesn’t seem to have that particular issue.
This photo of the San Ildefonso De Toledo Parish Church in Tanay has plenty of details in it despite being shot at around 5 PM in the afternoon.
Food shots taken indoors during the evening are also pretty clear and don’t have the associated noise that usually comes when shooting under artificial light at night.
All in all the Mi 8 managed to impress us with its dual camera performance. We’re on the tail-end of our full review of the device so stay tuned till then.
Xiaomi Mi 8 specs
- AI-Powered Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- Adreno 630 GPU
- 6GB/8GB RAM
- 6.21-inch Full HD+ Super AMOLED display, 18:7.9 aspect ratio, support for DCI-P3, 60000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 64GB/128GB/256GB of non-expandable storage
- Dual 12-megapixel rear cameras (main camera with f/1.8 aperture, telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture) with 1.4um pixels, 4-axis OIS, 2X optical zoom, Dual Pixel Autofocus, dual-tone flash, AI scene detection and AI portrait
- 20-megapixel f/2.0 front camera with 1.8um pixels, AI Portrait, AI Beauty
- Dual SIM, with 4G LTE, LTE-A
- Dual Frequency GPS, GLONASS
- WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC
- Fingerprint scanner, USB Type-C port, Infrared Face Unlock
- 3400mAh battery with QuickCharge 4.0
- Android Oreo with MIUI 10