Wow, They’re Actually Going to Do It!
Ever since the government announced that they planned on providing free WiFi in public spaces, we were very skeptical. However it looks like this project is going to see the light of day! The Free WiFi program of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) is set to do an Alpha launch very soon. We’ve distilled the 5 most important things you need to know about it below. 🙂
1. It will launch on July 24 during the National Science and Technology Week at the SMX Convention Center. You can actually drop by (admission is free) as the fair runs until July 28.
2. It will be available in 5 areas: Quezon City Memorial Circle, Quezon City Hall, Philippine Coconut Authority Building, Social Security System Building, LTO QC, and Rizal Park. Over the course of the next few months the coverage will increase to more public areas.
3. Users can get high-speed Wi-Fi. However you have a data limit of 50MB daily.
4. Beyond the 50MB limit, you can still access the free Internet but at throttled speeds (most likely 256 kbps).
5. You can access most of the Internet. They will block “harmful” websites.
If ever you guys decide to go to these places for the free WiFi, be extra careful with your smartphones, tablets, and laptops. If there’s one thing we’re sure of it’s that snatchers and thieves will abound in these areas. Be EXTRA VIGILANT. 😛
If you want to know more, check out the news report of GMA about this below.