Nubia steps up with its gaming phone line with the official debut of the Red Magic 5G. As teased previously, the phone’s key new feature is its blazing fast 144hz AMOLED panel, which is capable of 144FPS gaming as proven by GameBench. It also comes with an in-display fingerprint scanner and 240hz touch response rate for better gaming experience with select titles. The display is free of any notch or cutouts, leaving a sliver of a bezel for the 8-megapixel selfie camera
To aid the Red Magic 5G’s internals—Snapdragon 865, up to 16GB LPDDR5 RAM, and up to 256GB UFS 3.0 storage—Nubia used an active cooling solution that includes vents and an actual fan to dissipate heat. Nubia claims that this can reduce CPU temperatures by as much as 18°C and also helps in efficiently topping up the phone’s battery with its 55w charging solution.
Unlike previous Red Magic phones, the Red Magic 5G comes with a triple rear camera setup comprising of a 64-megapixel Sony IMX686 main camera, 8-megapixel ultra-wide-angle camera, and 2-megapixel depth sensor. Being a gaming phone, the Red Magic 5G also has capacitive shoulder triggers with a 300Hz sampling rate for the lowest possible touch latency.
Nubia Red Magic 5G specs
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor
- 8GB/12GB/16GB LPDDR5 RAM
- 6.65-inch Full HD+ AMOLED display, 144hz refresh rate, 240hz touch response rate
- 128GB/256GB UFS 3.0 storage
- Triple rear cameras: 64-megapixel f/1.7 Sony IMX 686 main camera; 8-megapixel ultra-wide-angle camera, 2-megapixel depth sensor; PDAF, LED flash
- 8-megapixel f/2.0 front camera
- 3G, LTE, 5G
- WiFi 6, Bluetooth, GPS, A-GPS
- Internal cooling fan and liquid cooling
- USB Type-C, fingerprint sensor, RGB lighting, Stereo Speakers, DTS:X, Shoulder triggers
- 4500mAh battery with 55w quick charging
- Android 10 with Red Magic OS
The Red Magic 5G is priced at CNY 3799(~Php 27.7k) for the 8GB/128GB model, CNY 4099(Php 29.9k) for the 12GB/128GB model, and CNY 4399(~Php 32.1k) for the 12GB/256GB model. If you need loads of RAM, the top-tier 16GB/256GB model will cost you CNY 4999 (~Php 36.5k).
If you want something different, there’s a Transparent edition that has a visual of the internals. This version costs CNY 4599(~Php 33.6k) for the 12GB/256GB model and CNY 5199(~Php 37.9k) for the 16GB/256GB model. The Red Magic 5G will be available in China on March 19, with global sales expected in April.